212 - Fiesta!
These fajitas are delicious and easy to make. Another nice thing
is that you can make virtually any substitution you want to the
recipe. We used chicken in our fajitas, but you can use beef or
even make it totally vegetarian. Ole!
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breast sliced into long strips
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon, Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne and paprika
- 1 sweet onion, sliced into strips
- 1 red and 1 green sweet pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dozen warmed flour tortillas
Place all of the ingredients into a blender and liquefy. Add to
a bowl into which you have placed the chicken strips, mix well and
place into the refrigerator for 8 hours. This marinade also works
well for other meats, poultry and seafood and is great on the barbecue.
Once chicken is finished marinating, place it into a skillet heated
on medium-high. Stir the chicken as it cooks. Once cooked, transfer
into an attractive serving bowl, perferably one with a lid. Another
option is to grill the chicken on the barbecue.
Into another skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high. Add the onion
and peppers and let saute until the onion reaches a nice golden
colour. Then sprinkle the oregano, basil and jalapeno pepper on
top. Transfer to a serving dish. To serve the fajitas, place pieces
of chicken and a couple of spoons of vegetables along the centre
of a warmed flour tortilla. Wrap and eat.
A dollop of sour cream, guacamole or salsa make a nice accompaniment.